Avoid self tanning trauma with these top tips from Self Magazine. By now we are all aware of the sun’s damaging rays and realize how extremely detrimental they can be to our skin; causing age spots and skin cancer. So much so that we would never (yes NEVER) leave the house without some SPF on. But can a girl still lose the pasty pale look without sacrificing the health of her skin?
Sure with self tanner. And I’m not talking that ancient orange glow from years back when you used to (OMG- ick!) put sun-in in your hair either. I’m talking a golden brown that give you that sun-kissed skin that’s perfectly divine. Self tanners have come a long way baby.
This video features Leah Wyar from Self Magazine talking about the self-tanners on the market. Here are her picks:
1. Neutrogena Sheer Body Tint, $10- body bronzer, washes off like makeup. * mousse consistency spreads easily.
2. Lancaster Silk Bronze Moisturizing Milk, $22- creamy consistency that goes on easily, has SPF 6. * not too dark, so it’s good for those with fair skin.
3. Clarins Self Tanning Instant Gel, $29 – good for people with oily skin. * lightweight gel with quick drying time. One of my favorites too!
4. Sunfx Instant Spray-on Tan, $43 * aerosol spray is good for someone who wants to do the whole body. * has a “mystic tan” result for someone who likes a rich color.
5. Jergens Natural Glow Firming Daily Moisturizer, $8 * the gradual glow builds every day. * improves skin’s elasticity.
6. Estee Lauder Body Performance Golden Naturally Radiant Moisturizer, $35 * daily moisturizer with a low level of self-tanner ingredient, DHA. * citrus scent.
Leah also has tips for expert self-tanner application:
Feet and Hands: Moisture in advance to preempt overdarkening.on your ankles and knuckles. Coat finger/toenails with Vaseline to avoid stain. Always scrub palms afterward.
Knees and Elbows: These are naturally darker areas, so they pick up the color more intensely. Sloughing and extra moisturizing the day before will help. Use a gentle pumice.
Shoulders and Back: No partner? Buy a long-handled foam sponge to reach your back. This is a good time to use TINTED formulas so you can see what’s happening.